Fish is an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids (good fats), which are well known for their health benefits and long-lasting effects on the body. Eating fish regularly can reduce the risk of a variety of diseases ranging from childhood asthma to prostate cancer. Now if fish is such a nutritional food for humans, the oil extracted from fish can be equally healthy. Let’s know about what is fish oil and how does it help.
Stay in Touch Get pupdates from the pack.
Fish oil is the fat or oil that’s extracted from the tissues of fish. There are certain oily fishes present in our water bodies that provide this oil. For e.g., herring, tuna, anchovies, and mackerel. In the absence of these fishes, it is also produced from the liver of other fishes as in cod liver oil. It is highly nutritional with the composition being 30% omega-3s, while the remaining 70% other fats along with Vitamin A and D. Omega-3 is found primarily in cold-water fish, shellfish, plant and nut oils, and flaxseed. But, your dog needs omega-3 in their diet for several reasons.
The numerous benefits of fish oil include –
There are other significant uses as well. Now some of these may not be applicable to our pets but most are relevant and we may think that if it can help humans then why not dogs. The answer is Yes, FISH oil is safe and can be very beneficial for dogs.
The answer is Yes. It is safe to use on dogs. Dogs need Omega 3 for several reasons. Processed foods for dogs are usually high in Omega 6 fats because of the use of meat from corn fed animals. In this process, dogs end up with high Omega 6 but low Omega 3 in their bodies. Both are needed in balance for dogs as well as humans. So for these reasons, fish oil can become a part of long term diet plan for dogs. The oil also helps dogs throughout their lifecycle.
Just like the numerous benefits of fish oil for humans, there are similar benefits for dogs as well. These include –
6 significant benefits that Fish oil can give your loved doggies. What more is there to ask for?
Now let’s come to the caution part while using Fish oil on dogs.
Firstly, when any new element is introduced to your dog, always start with small doses irrespective of safety levels. It is important to check the suitability of the substance on your dog. The recommended dose of fish oil is 75-100 mg/ kg total EPA/DHA. The following is the classification as per weight of the dog –
Fish oil doesn’t have any side effects per se but only can be harmful if given disproportionately outside the recommended quantities. The symptoms include –
If any of the above symptoms are seen, reduce or stop the intake of fish oil for your pet temporarily until the vet recommends a solution and marks it safe again.
The Omega 3 fatty acids rich, fish oil is a wonder supplement for dogs as well as humans due to its varied benefits and little to no side effects. With some caution, if taken care of, this super oil can be super beneficial. You can very well add it to your dog’s daily diet and enjoy its long-term benefits of it. Just remember, not to go for cheap and unknown options.
Happy Mood and Health to your Doggo and lots of Love and Licks to you!.
Get pupdates from the pack.
Get pupdates from the pack.