What is Pet Insurance?
Pet insurance covers your dog or cat in case of unexpected injuries or illness.
- It follows the reimbursement model, repaying you for veterinary services.
- Like other kinds of insurance, you have a choice of deductible, annual limit, and premium.
- With Spot you can customize your coverage to best suit the needs of you and your pet.
How Does it Work?
In the event of your pet’s injury or illness, you choose the care for your pet.
- With Spot, take your pet to any licensed vet, emergency clinic or specialist in the United States.
- You then submit the paid veterinary bills through Spot’s website.
- Spot then reimburses you for covered expenses based on your rate of coverage.
Why Do I Need Pet Insurance?
It’s a financial safety net in case of accidents, injuries, illnesses, and chronic conditions.
- As a pet parent, you know how expensive vet visits can be.
- Pet insurance reimburses you up to 90% of those eligible vet bills.
- Spot has plan options that offer thousands in coverage for less than a cup of coffee per day.
Help Protect Against High Vet Bills
Let’s get your
Tell us more so we can fetch
a great plan for you.
Your Blog Bowl Is Full
What's Not Covered?
Like all pet insurance providers, we have exclusions.
Pre-existing Conditions (?)
No pet insurance provider covers pre-existing conditions, which are conditions that occur before coverage begins or during a waiting period. However, we will no longer consider a condition to be pre-existing if it has been cured and free of symptoms and treatment for 180 days, with the exception of knee and ligament conditions. If a knee or ligament condition occurs before the coverage effective date or during a waiting period, any future ones won’t be covered.
Our plans do not cover elective procedures, such as tail docking, ear cropping, and claw removal.
Our plans do not cover costs associated with breeding or pregnancy.
Coverage for preventive care, like annual wellness exams, vaccines, and screenings, is not included in this plan. You can add preventive care coverage for a little more per month after you select your base plan.
View our full list of exclusions here.
What is an annual
SPOT On Coverage Details
THE TYPES OF COVERAGE YOU'LL GET
Each type of coverage includes exam fees, diagnostics, and treatment. We even cover the most advanced treatments, like chemotherapy and surgery, and some you may not expect, such as stem-cell therapy and acupuncture, so you can follow your vet's recommendations with less worry about cost.
Accident coverage will take care of costs for injuries and emergencies related to accidents, like torn ligaments, bite wounds, cuts, broken bones, lodged foreign objects, and toxic ingestions.
With illness coverage, you’ll be reimbursed for the costs of major and minor illnesses, such as cancer, arthritis, hypothyroidism, digestive problems, and UTIs.
Hereditary & Congenital Conditions
This coverage is for the costs of inherited conditions and birth defects that don’t show symptoms until later in your pet’s life, like heart disease, IVDD, eye disorders, and hip dysplasia.
Behavioral issues coverage can help with the costs of vet visits for concerning behaviors that may be related to anxiety or compulsive behavior, like excessive licking, fur pulling, and destruction of the home.