Getting a new puppy and want to know what toys you should buy? Already have a pup and want to get some new ones? Let’s look at the best types of puppy toys and where to get them.
Toys are essential to have around for your pup. They provide mental stimulation, improve dental health, and help with teething. Having toys also helps deter your puppy from chewing on anything they are not supposed to. Puppies love to play, and toys are a great way to keep them entertained, happy, and learning.
It is crucial to enable your dog to be stimulated and allow them to play as they learn about what they like, how the world works, and what makes them excited!
Benefits of having toys for your puppy
It might seem straightforward why you should have toys for your puppy, but there are many benefits you might not know!
Let’s look at some of the reasons puppy toys are essential.
- Preventing Behavioral Issues – Puppies have a lot of energy. They are rambunctious, curious, and sometimes disobedient. If your puppy has too much pent-up energy and no outlet, this might result in behavioral issues. If they get bored, they might get destructive. Without enough stimulation, puppies could resort to creating their own fun – like tearing up a pillow or a couch. If your puppy is well exercised and has positive outlets for their energy like toys, they will be easier to train and manage.
- Preventing Anxiety – Like humans, puppies can experience anxiety. In the first few months of their lives, there are many changes as they are introduced to many new things. Toys are a great distraction for your pup during stressful situations and improve their overall happiness. If you have to leave your puppy alone for a period of time, giving them a toy will keep their mind occupied and reduce separation anxiety.
- Physical and Mental Exercise – Toys can serve as a form of mental and physical exercise for your pup. Playing with a squeaky toy or rope can get your dog up, moving, and thinking. Puzzle toys can teach your dog valuable thinking skills and get their mind working. If you aren’t able to give your dog lots of active time, having lots of toys for them to play around with can provide them with a positive outlet. Mentally stimulating your puppy from the beginning is crucial for their development and will improve their intelligence.
- Companionship – Like babies, dogs can find comfort in their toys. If your puppy has a favorite stuffed toy, it can help them feel more comfortable in their crate when they are left alone. This companionship can relieve their anxiety and help them feel better during stressful situations.
- Dental Health – Maintaining good dental health for your puppy from the beginning can prevent medical issues and painful vet visits. Some toys are specifically made to target plaque and food remnants to keep your pup’s mouth fresh! Even a rubber or synthetic toy can work to wipe off your puppy’s teeth as they chew. Toys can also massage and help their gums.
Types of toys
There are hundreds of different dog toys on the market, and it can be overwhelming to decipher which toys might be best for your pup. The kinds of toys you should get depend on your dog’s breed, personal preference, and needs.
Here are some of the best toys for your young pup.
- Soothing Teething Toys
As your puppy grows its permanent teeth, there is some natural discomfort they experience. It is good to keep chew toys around to avoid them gnawing on you or your possessions, but there are toys made specifically to help alleviate their growing pains.
These are some recommended puppy-specific teething toys:
- Nylabone Just for Puppies Key Ring Bone
This vet-recommended toy is designed to encourage positive play and chewing behaviors and is made for puppies’ young and sensitive mouths—textures on the toy help massage and clean your pup’s mouth while they chew.
- KONG Puppy Dog Toy
Specifically designed for puppies, this brightly colored toy will excite your puppy and provide the perfect rubbery soft chew toy. You can stuff this toy with peanut butter or treats to keep your dog occupied and entertained for extended periods.
- NWK Pet Teething Cooling Toy
An advantage of this toy is that you can freeze it to provide extra teething relief to your pup. This chilly toy will alleviate the pain your puppy is experiencing and can be great during the summer months to help them cool off. The rubber ridges help to promote dental health and massage your puppy’s gums while they chew.
Teeth Cleaning Toys
Dental health is crucial for puppies, so it is good to have some toys specifically targeted at promoting clean teeth and healthy gums.
- Nylabone Puppy Chew Toy Puppy Teething Dinosaur
This toy works to clean your puppy’s mouth and freshen their breath simultaneously. Chicken flavored and shaped like a T-Rex, your puppy might become obsessed! This toy is made for puppies up to 25 pounds.
- Arm & Hammer Dental Super Treadz Dog Chew
Designed by a dental care company, this toy is infused with baking soda to pack an extra teeth-cleaning punch! It is made from extra strong rubber for durability and designed to remove plaque, freshen your pup’s breath, and reduce tartar.
Plush Puppy Toys
Durable toys for teething are great, but puppies also love soft stuffed toys. These toys provide comfort, and your pup will find pleasure nurturing and carrying around a stuffed friend.
- Multipet Lamb Chop Squeaky Plush Dog Toy
Squishy, soft, and squeaky, this toy is bound to excite your pup! It comes in different sizes and has an entertaining squeak feature. This toy is also great for cuddling, as your pup will appreciate how plush it is.
Giving your puppy a specifically designed puzzle toy will stimulate them and keep them busy. These toys are entertaining and teach problem-solving skills.
- SunGrow Treat Dispenser Toy For Puppies
This small rubber ball makes noise and drops out treats as your puppy rolls it around. This toy will entertain your pup while they also have to figure out how to get the treats out. This toy is a great way to exercise your puppy mentally and physically.
- PAW5 Wooly Snuffle Foraging Mat
This is a great way to let your puppy sniff around, from puppies who eat too fast to ones who are just bored. Place small treats or dog food throughout the mat and let your pup forage for them! Finding these dispersed rewards will provide a rewarding experience for your dog.
Prepared to play!
Having any of these types – or brands – of toys around for your puppy can keep them happy and entertained! Be prepared with durable, safe, and exciting toys, so you’re ready to provide stimulating play experiences.