What is Salmon Oil?
Salmon oil is made from the fish’s healthy fats, known as omega-3 fatty acids. It is basically a fatty oil obtained usually from the waste from the canning of salmon. These are essential fats needed for the building and repair of cell membranes.
Benefits of Salmon Oil
The numerous benefits of Salmon oil include –
- Supports cardiovascular health – It helps the heart stay healthy by
- Improving good blood cholesterol levels
- Decreasing triglycerides
- Reducing blood pressure
- Preventing plaque
- Supports eye health – Even eyes rely on Omega 3 fatty acids and given the high content of the same in Salmon oil, it helps reducing the risks of eye diseases.
- Reduces Inflammation – chronic inflammation is associated with health conditions such as obesity, diabetes, depression, and heart disease. Salmon oil has naturally anti-inflammatory properties which helps lowering inflammation.
- Healthy Skin, hair and nails – Salmon Oil is rich in vitamin A and B, which helps improve the health of your hair, skin and nails. Topical application also helps soothe your skin and scalp.
- Promotes brain health – The anti-oxidants in salmon oil helps prevent oxidative damage in the brain and promotes cell repair. It also helps against neurological disorders like Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s diseases.
- Lowers cancer risk – Colon cancer, breast cancer, and prostate cancer have been seen to be lowered in risk by salmon oil because of its prevention against cellular oxidative damage.
- Improves reproductive health – Some studies say that salmon oil can provide fertility in both men and women by improving sperm count and egg fertility. It is also seen to cure menstrual cramps.
There are other significant uses as well. Now some of these may not be applicable to our pets but most are relevant and we may think that if it can help humans then why not dogs. The answer is Yes, SALMON oil is safe and can be very beneficial for dogs.
Is Salmon Oil safe for your dog?
The answer is Yes. It is safe to use on dogs. Dogs need Omega 3 for several reasons. Canned dog foods are usually high in Omega 6 fats because of the use of corn-fed animal’s meat. In this process, dogs end up with disproportionate Omega 3 and Omega 6 levels. Both are needed in balance for dogs as well as humans. So, for these reasons, Salmon oil can become a part of long-term diet plan for dogs. The oil helps dogs throughout their lifecycle.
Benefits of Salmon Oil on Dogs
Just like the numerous benefits of Salmon oil for humans, there are similar benefits for dogs as well. These include –
- Protects the cardiovascular system – Dogs’ hearts can develop an irregular rhythm of the heart at times called atrial fibrillation. Salmon oil prevents it from happening. It also acts as an anti-coagulant that prevents blood clots from forming in pets.
- Treats dry-flaky skin in allergic pets – This oil can reduce itching by decreasing the production or release of potent stimulators of inflammation, called cytokines in the bodies of dogs.
- Slows down kidney diseases – It helps prevent undesired protein loss through urine and reduces the production of pro-inflammatory substances that aggravate kidneys.
- Reduces Allergy symptoms – The anti-inflammatory property helps in aiding the symptoms of allergy such as inflammation, dryness, etc.
- Helps with joint pains – Again the anti-inflammatory property again comes to the rescue. It is seen that arthritic dogs given Salmon oil are more comfortable and agile than those not supplemented.
- Supports cognitive function of senior dogs – The ability to learn and retain certain skills is promoted by the use of Salmon oil. It even aids in curing cognitive dysfunction when older dogs find it difficult to recognize family members.
- Boosts immunity – The anti-oxidants, vitamins, omega 3 fatty acids, all help in increasing the immunity in dogs.
7 significant benefits that Salmon oil can give your loved doggies. What more is there to ask for?
Now let’s come to the cautions part while using Salmon oil on dogs.
How to use Salmon Oil on Dogs?
- You can drizzle the liquid form on his dog food once a day
- There are also salmon oil capsules and chews available.
- Salmon oil is given orally in the form of a liquid or capsule, with or without food
- There is a possibility of an upset stomach if given on an empty stomach. If that happens then give it with food.
- Salmon oil can easily be mixed into wet food
How much Salmon Oil should be used on Dogs?
Firstly, when any new element is introduced to your dog, always start with small doses irrespective of safety levels. It is important to check the suitability of the substance on your dog. The recommended dose of Salmon oil is 75-100 mg/ kg total EPA/DHA. The amount you give your dog will also depend on why you’re giving him salmon oil. If needed for a specific medical condition then it is advised that your vet should be consulted first.
What can happen if your dog eats an unusual amount of Salmon Oil?
Salmon oil doesn’t have any side effects per se but only can be harmful if given disproportionately outside the recommended quantities. The symptoms include –
If any of the above symptoms are seen, reduce or stop the intake of Salmon oil for your pet temporarily until the vet recommends a solution and marks it safe again.
Cautions while using Salmon Oil for Dogs
- Check the sensitivity of your pet before administering salmon oil to him/her
- Always go for reputable sources of the oil as heavy metal toxicity can occur in case of unreputable options
- Make sure the container is opaque to protect the supplement from light.”
- Be sure to store the oil in the fridge or freezer so it doesn’t go bad. Any type of fish oil turns rancid in the presence of light, heat and oxygen. If you smell a bad odor then throw it out
- Pets that are prone to diabetes, diarrhea or a history of pancreatitis should be first consulted to a vet before using the oil
- Pregnant and nursing pets should be given Salmon oil cautiously
The EPA and DHA rich salmon oil is a super food supplement for dogs. If used wisely and proportionately it can save dogs from a number of diseases and improve brain functions, immunity and overall health. Just take care of the cautions while buying and feeding the oil.
Go ahead and share the oil with your loved puppies, irrespective of age, and you both can enjoy the enormous benefits of it.
Happy Mood and Health to your Doggo and lots of Love and Licks to you!
- Essential Oils For Dogs
- Lavender Oil For Dogs
- Coconut Oil For Dogs
- Peppermint Oil For Dogs
- Fish Oil For Dogs
- Hemp Oil For Dogs
- Tea Tree Oil For Dogs
- CBD Oil For Dogs