Creating A Pet Emergency Kit
In helping you prepare your pet for emergencies, here is our Pet Emergency Preparedness Tip #4: Create A Pet Emergency Kit
If you missed the first three tips, find them on our emergency pet prep page, where you can also download our emergency preparedness form to keep on file.
Tip #4: Create A Pet Emergency Kit
Keep the following items together in an easy-to-access place:
1. Identify a family member or friend who can care for your pets in case of an emergency.
2. Keep an emergency kit tailored specifically to your pet so it’s prepared prior to an emergency situation.
3. Place your pet’s collar or harness with ID tag, rabies tag, and leash together.
4. Put your crate, food, medications and extra supplies together.
5. Ensure all medications are documented with directions in one place.
6. Don’t forget familiar comfort items, such as treats, toys and bedding, which can help reduce stress for your pet.
7. Add a garment or blanket with your scent on it to calm your pet in unfamiliar surroundings.
8. Make sure that the address and phone number with your pet’s microchip are up-to-date and also include contact information for your emergency contact.
9. Save and print your Pet Preparedness Plan. Keep a copy on you or your phone and one with your emergency kit. Also make sure to give a copy to your pet’s emergency contact, other family members or neighbors, as well as your veterinarian.
10. Be prepared for unexpected costs in treating your pet during an emergency by purchasing a Pet Insurance policy customized just for you.